Who Knows Where the Time Goes?
Let's start with a music link then you can listen while you read :)
https://open.spotify.com/album/7isYifHXAT7wbuxbJziBG3
Taking the day from back to front, we are sitting in the evening light, fire still unlit, with a bowl of crisps and a glass of retsina. (Yes, I know, not pure yogini, but this is Greece.) A little earlier we went on the orchid walk, an evening favourite. And it was a sunny day, although still cold.
These pink orchids are NAKED MAN ORCHIDS. I have been trying to get a decent pic that will illustrate this indecent name!
On Thursday I have a Greek class by Skype with Katerina, a young Greek living in Bristol. It is stressful and pleasurable in almost equal proportions. I really miss all the casual conversations that I might have had, shopping and chatting to neighbours who don't speak English.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7isYifHXAT7wbuxbJziBG3
Taking the day from back to front, we are sitting in the evening light, fire still unlit, with a bowl of crisps and a glass of retsina. (Yes, I know, not pure yogini, but this is Greece.) A little earlier we went on the orchid walk, an evening favourite. And it was a sunny day, although still cold.
These pink orchids are NAKED MAN ORCHIDS. I have been trying to get a decent pic that will illustrate this indecent name!
Not the only frustration at this time, but the positives still outweigh the negatives. Of course, introverts like me do OK, by and large. In a sense, I am enjoying the relative solitude.
![]() |
| Add caption |
Evening walk-a bit cold and Nikon camera (Digital, old) misbehaving. I ought I had a great pic of Naked Man orchid - but I dont! Here's a fully clothed husband standing in a lush area of vegetation, one of our favourite places, around 10 minutes from the house. Flowers are still amazing-especially the orchids.
On our walks we see plenty of these. This is a badger set and there are many here. The badgers are protected, traffic is light and so they seem to thrive. We have promised ourselves that as soon as the weather gets warmer in the evening, we will go out after dark and get to know these animals.
Back to the day - afternoons can get a bit dozy and I dragged a sunbed into a sheltered spot, carried on reading CIRCE and then dozed off for a bit.
Later - like most people I am spending some time on social media: FB, Instagram & email. Here's a photo from our Spanish friend, Marylene, still pleasantly stranded at Gythion. She appears to have biked to a beach!
On Thursday I have a Greek class by Skype with Katerina, a young Greek living in Bristol. It is stressful and pleasurable in almost equal proportions. I really miss all the casual conversations that I might have had, shopping and chatting to neighbours who don't speak English.See below for my Greek homework!
Having seen the rain yesterday, here's the beautiful blue view from our house. There is a problem though. If we want to build, how will we ever find somewhere as good? More of that later.
Lunchtime: I am running out of imagination
and recipes for Mediterranean food. I have my vegetarian Greek cookbook and have now cooked about a third of them. More than any other cookbook I have ever owned. Many of them seem to involve the dish standing for an hour and/or 50 minutes in the oven, and so require a bit more planning that I am used to. Also I have to remember to get the pulses soaking the night before. Tonight soaking big beans for tomorrow.
The weekly shop is another challenge. How much Feta to buy? Half a kilo? Isn't that too much? No - apparently not, since we are running out already.

I seem to be losing the thread of the day, so let's jump to breakfast. I love the Mediterranean breakfast - it goes something like this:
And how's the drawing going?
See below.
Sorry for the very messy blog but it's how my head is tonight. Καλενιχτα to you all. Stay well and keep humming songs by Vera Lynn. Or Fairport Convention. Back to the beginning, eh? We have a veg pie for supper, made by our lovely neighbours.





We have a badger in our garden in Bristol. We caught it having broken into the worm bin and feasting on the delicious mix of fresh worms and half rotted veg. I have improved worm bin security.
ReplyDelete