
So yesterday - back in the water, courtesy of M. Philippe Julien and his 3-wheel travel lift. I invited Desislava & Frederick - I met her in Pune and she and Frederick moved from Paris to the tiny village of Villedoux last year. Villedoux is just a few Kms from Marans - and Charron. They were both completely new to boats and so were wide-eyed with it all. It was nice to have their company, and Frederick was able to give me some help with the lines. Approaching the Brault lifting bridge, a bit later than I said we would be, the bridge remained obstinately closed, and the indicator light red. I asked Desislava to rummage in my bag and find my iPhone and asked Frederick to speak to the lock / bridge keeper. Oh yes, just wait a bit and I'll open it when I've finished with the lock... So we circled a bit and then up it went, with a line of huge lorries waiting for us to amble through. The lock was empty and our entry smooth and calm - all lines in the right place this time. The lock keeper (not needed this time) came down for a nice manly chat with Fred - very happy to describe the complete mess I made on the way out - he omitted to mention that he could have moved his backside a bit sooner and helped out! He also explained that the swing bridge was sticking a bit! Eventually it juddered open, I let go the forward line, the mid line and finally the stern and we swung smoothly out into the centre of the lock and on out into the canal.
 |
| The Marans Canal 1- this is not Snork Maiden |
The canal on a good day like this is really beautiful, tranquil apart from the thrum of the engine - as you can see, the 3 chaps on this little boat took the quiet route with the wind nicely behind them. Next time, maybe we will try it!
COMING SOON: TOOLS & MOULFEST
 |
| But it could be! | | | |
|
|
Comments
Post a Comment